Friday, September 14, 2012

Utah Ho! Day 6

Vacation Log: Day 6

Springdale5:21 AM

Why am I awake? Something about beating the crowds, as I recall. Seemed like a good idea yesterday. Curse the me of yesterday for making this plan! Well, time to see how this all plays out…

Angel’s Landing – 7:51 AM

Made it to the top! It’s freezing up here.

The last part of the hike (the interesting part) was up here.

The climb up wasn’t bad at all. Videos on the internet made it seem way worse. Never once did I feel uneasy. It’s still an experience, though!

Lots of chipmunks up here. Also saw a huge squirrel fighting obesity. Ha! Fat squirrel.

Chipmunk
 
Fat squirrel. At least it seemed fat at the time.

Very few people on the trail at this hour. I guess that’s the reason for the 5:15 wakeup. It’d be a pain fighting crowds up here.

The views are very nice, but not necessarily life-altering, as others tend to make it seem. Still, it’s well worth the trip.

View from the top, looking into Zion Canyon

Time to celebrate my victory w/ a Clif Bar!

Still, I can’t get too cocky. I still have to climb back down.

Looking down to Scout's Lookout, where lots of people chicken out on the way up. For perspective, see the outhouses and the person. (Yes, I can use MS Paint.)

Angel’s Landing Trailhead – 9:26 AM

Made it back! Going down was way more fun than coming up. Met lots of people on their way up. Glad we went so early.

Going to see the Emerald Pools next. Hopefully, they’re cool.

Kind of funny: I was talking w/ a random guy, and he eventually asked if I was from Canada. So close. It’s weird when my accent is in the minority.

Emerald Pools – 10:15 AM

Emerald Pools are okay. Would be better after some rain.

Not feeling the emerald-ness
 
 
Free shower!

George Barker Park – 1:12 PM

Sitting in the shade in Ultimate Relaxation mode. It’s roasting out here, now. Glad to be sedentary.

Currently recuperating for another jaunt this evening, destination TBD, although probably Hidden Canyon.

This park is by a river. Very relaxing to watch and listen to it rush by. Ahhhh…..

Hidden Canyon – 8:51 PM

Upon beginning this hike, my legs almost went on strike. However, after threatening them w/ jumping jacks, they fell in line.

Radar showed storm clouds, so I brought my rain gear. This guaranteed a dry hike. I’m pretty much a reverse rainmaker.

The hike itself is fun. After reaching the official end of the trail, which is at the mouth of Hidden Canyon, you can continue on into it, although there is no maintained trail. The sign says you’ll have to “scramble”. The sign is right. Lots of climbing and scrambling and sliding on rocks, felled trees, etc. It’s like a jungle gym for grownups. As a bonus, the canyon is cold. Definitely a good choice.

 
My pics in Hidden Canyon didn't turn out very well. But trust me, it's pretty neat.

Springdale9:43 PM

Apparently, one 5:15 AM wakeup call isn’t enough, so the same is planned for tomorrow. D’oh! But morning is the best time to get out and about, so it’ll be worth it.

I keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment