Sunday, September 9, 2012

Utah Ho! Day 1

Vacation Log: Day 1

Plymouth5:03 AM

Ugh. It’s early. I feel like...an ashtray. That is all. {Added note: You come up with a better description at five in the morning!}

Minneapolis/Saint Paul Airport – 7:11 AM

Through security w/ no problems. Luckily, I must appear to be trustworthy. Also, I left my machete at home. 1.5 hours ‘til boarding. D’oh! Guess I can people watch.

Huh. Taco Bell is open at 7 in the morning, and I saw somebody in line. Yech. Smells awful. (Taco Bell, not the person in line, although I guess I can’t really be sure about that.)

Minneapolis/Saint Paul Airport – 7:26 AM

Sitting outside of Starbucks w/ coffee that’s way too dark. Yuck. Everybody around me is feverishly working on their laptops while I scrawl nonsense in a notebook. Life is good.

Several kids are running wrong-way on the moving sidewalk, laughing the whole time. It’s hilarious. I sort of want to join them. Either that or go to the arcade I passed a while back. (I wonder if they have the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game I played years ago in the Copper Country Mall?)

Minneapolis/Saint Paul Airport – 7:59 AM

Pushed past my natural tendency to be reserved and quiet and to never make eye contact w/ anybody. Chatted w/ Anne, the lady working at Author’s Bookstore. She was very nice, and it was quite fun. In other news, I wanted to try out the $1 massage chair but passed. I might end up regretting it. Maybe when I get back.

Minneapolis/Saint Paul Airport – 8:25 AM

Proud of myself for not yet bursting into song: “I’m just sitting out here watching airplanes...”

Almost time to board. Please don’t be next to a 350lb man with a B.O. problem!

Minneapolis/Saint Paul Airport – 9:09 AM

On plane. No longer feeling outspoken. Used that all up chatting w/ Anne. Luckily, guy sitting next to me (not 350 lbs!) is as determined as me not to speak. Nice.

Some guy is speaking loudly and passionately about baseball umpiring behind me. He sounds like he thinks he’s VERY important.

There should be an airline where nobody is allowed to speak. The whole plane would be quiet. I’d fly that airline all the time. Slogan: “Like you’re the only one on board!”

Might have to listen to some Gunsmoke once we get in the air.

Pretty sure the frequency of these entries will decrease dramatically once I actually start doing stuff.

Salt Lake City Airport11:03 AM (Utah Time)

Flight was uneventful, as flights should be. Listened to Gunsmoke and played Home Run Derby on my phone. Rendezvoused with Lurch. Can’t wait to see our rental car, i.e. milk carton on wheels.

Going to need sustenance soon.

Salt Lake City is gray and drab. At least from the airport windows.

On The Road South – Various Times During The Afternoon

The rental car is a Hyundai Accent. Actually not as small as I expected it to be. It should do the trick.

Radio stations are not promising. It got so bad that I even attempted the AM band.

Saw a drive-through beef jerky place. Seriously. Didn’t stop there or take a picture. Probably should have.

Unfortunately, Woohoo Burgers in Salina was out of business. What a ripoff! That place sounds cool.

Discovered rental car has X.M.!!! Woo-Hoo! (Not burgers)

Capitol Reef National Park – Early Evening

First hike was Chimney Rock Loop Trail. Legs need to get used to climbing. Lurchism on the descent: “Ah, downhill. Gravity is now my friend.”





Torrey – 9:55 PM

Upon entering the bathroom of the hotel room, I noticed there was a working telephone hanging on the wall. Very curious. {Added note: I wish I’d have gotten the number. How fun would it be to call the phone in a hotel bathroom on occasion?}

No comments:

Post a Comment