Monday, September 10, 2012

Utah Ho! Day 2

Vacation Log: Day 2

Cassidy Arch – 11:03 AM

Since we’re apparently morons, the decided upon hike this morning was one named the “Frying Pan”. Needless to say, it’s been crazy hot. Lots of exposed rock baking in the sun, which I’ve been walking over while sweating profusely. Whee!


The Frying Pan

Luckily, it’s been worth it. Currently at Cassidy Arch, which offers good views to generate new potential facebook profile pics.




Unfortunately, the hike is only halfway over, with 4 miles to go, back over the Frying Pan. Forecast threatens rain, which would be refreshing, and the sky is getting cloudy. However, I packed rain gear that I bought 2 years ago and have never had the chance to use and would like to. That means the actual chance of rain is 0.0%

Watching the clouds darken

Grand Wash Trail Trailhead – 1:20 PM

No rain. Took a different trail back to the highway, just to switch it up a bit. Unfortunately, it doesn’t end at the same place as the car was parked, which means a 2 mile hike on the highway is in order. The plus side? Going to attempt to hitchhike for the first time in my life. I wonder if I need to show a little leg or something?


Views from the Grand Wash Trail

Torrey – 3:20 PM

After seeing about 8,000 motorcycles, success! Picked up by a guy from Utah, who let us ride in the back of his truck. He had everything back there, including fishing poles, pickaxes, water coolers, spare tires, etc. If society were to collapse, he’d be one of the competent who’d shrug and then keep on going with no problems, while I’d be dead after about two hours.

Taken while hitchhiking, minutes before being picked up

About one million degrees outside. Tourists seem to come out of the woodwork in the afternoon to see the sites and get seriously dehydrated. Silly.

Hunkering down to rest in the A/C before going out for another hike tonight.

Boy, I’m getting scruffy. My beard, if you can even call it that, is hideous. However, no urge to shave. Yes! Vacation!

Old Wagon Loop Trail – 7:39 PM

Sitting on a jumble of rocks, surrounded by hills and mountains. It’s cooling off, and it’s very windy. Quite refreshing not to be sweating out of every pour in my body. Waiting as the sun goes down, hoping that something cool happens in the sky. I’m feeling pessimistic. Not an ideal location to view sunset. However, I’m on a jumble of rocks, surrounded by hills and mountains, so I really shouldn’t complain.


It turned out all right

No comments:

Post a Comment