Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Utah Ho! Day 4

Vacation Log: Day 4

Fairyland Loop Trail – 9:00 AM

So far, so good. Picked the Fairyland Loop Trail, and haven’t seen another person on it yet. It’s always wise to skip the trails noted on the official park map with bold letters as OUR MOST POPULAR TRAIL!!!

Very peaceful here. Bryce Canyon is beautiful. I won’t begin to try and describe it because my adjectives aren’t working well this morning, plus I can’t last that long writing with a pencil on paper. 3rd grade me would be so disappointed. Penmanship is atrocious. {Added note: Seriously. I could barely read what I’d written.}

Also, the beard is gone. Feels like I lost 10 pounds.




Fairyland Loop Trail – 10:10 AM

Halfway thru hike. A few people are out and about now, but not too many. Just went to Tower Bridge, and it was quite disappointing, unless you like tower bridges that are really small and which you can’t walk across.

On the plus side, I just found out that Black Cherry Almond Clif Bars are delicious. (Although while hiking long distances, pine cones would also probably be delicious.)

As I don’t want it to seem like I’m not enjoying myself, Bryce Canyon is quite impressive!

The intrepid explorers

Fairyland Loop Trail – 11:16 AM

Highlight of trip so far: Saw old couple hiking, each of whom had a small, battery powered plastic fan attached to the bill of their cap, in order to keep them cool. I was immediately jealous.

Climbed out of the canyon and back on the rim. 2.5 miles to go!

Fairyland Loop Trail – 12:32 PM

Making slow time. Spent what felt like several hours trying to get pictures of turkey vultures as they swooped around near the rim. Pretty sure my efforts will result in pics w/ black smudges that could either be birds or random dirt clods. But it was fun.



Better than I thought

Tropic – 1:47 PM

I like how hygienic standards lower dramatically on trips like this: “Well, I’ve only worn this shirt three times, so it looks to be the cleanest.”

Break time after the morning hike, which is nice, as it’s pretty hot out. Dirty shirt and socks and hiking boots are all airing out outside. I can’t imagine them being stolen: “Hey! Dirty socks! And nobody’s watching them! Score!” Even stealing the hiking boots probably wouldn’t be worth it: “Whoa, these things smell!”

Will do the Hat Shop Trail this evening.

Tropic – 8:49 PM

Well, despite the odds stacked up against me, forming a seemingly insurmountable wall, somehow, someway, I managed to make my farmer’s tan worse. Stupid sunburned arms.

Hat Shop Trail was kinda cool. It almost had to be, based solely on the name.

The Hat Shop.

Opposite side of the trail to the Hat Shop


Sunset in Bryce

Tomorrow is the last day in Bryce. Then on to Zion!

2 comments:

  1. Just figured out your post titles remind me of a certain C&H book. ;) Nice photoes.

    TH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was the inspiration.

    Except I haven't done a Utah Ho poem yet: "My hiking friend has got an emergency kit, and I've packed a snack. We're all set for the trip ahead, be a while before we're back..."

    ReplyDelete