Thursday, September 13, 2012

Utah Ho! Day 5

Vacation Log: Day 5

Peekaboo/Navaho Trail – 9:00 AM

Last Bryce hike. This trail is also used by horses, so a large portion of the journey has been spent dodging manure. Eew.

Discussion topics so far included Indiana Jones.

Turns out that if you come here after Labor Day and pick hikes greater than a mile, the trails are sparsely populated. My earlier reservations on this subject have been proven baseless.

Also, for the record, my penmanship is not improving w/ practice. Dang.





Springdale2:19 PM

Arrived at Zion National Park to discover that roughly ¾ of the earth’s population had the same brilliant idea. (I thought Bryce was busy!) But there’s a reason it’s so popular, I'm assuming, so I’m excited.

It’s going to be hot the next few days, Frying Pan Trail hot, so early and late hikes are a must.

Thinking of doing Angel’s Landing tomorrow. Gulp. Heights and I don’t get along, and Angel’s Landing requires you to climb up a narrow spine of rock w/ 1000 foot drops on either side. Best to get it over with.

If I have one goal on this trip, it’s to walk away from Angel’s Landing. Overdramatic? Perhaps. But it doesn’t change the fact that I find heights freaky, and I’m man enough to admit that. (But not enough to admit I scream like a girl when faced with them.)

Talked to a random lady who said she saw me at Bryce. She was on the rim and I was down below on one of the trails. Apparently, I’m memorable. Hooray!

Not sure what’s on tap for the rest of the day. It’s darn hot out, and currently I feel like melting into a puddle of lethargy.

Springdale8:32 PM

Ate at a restaurant earlier that had calorie counts on the menu. It kind of annoyed me, since ignorance is bliss, especially on vacation. Still, it was nice to know the Turkey Club would’ve cost me over 1,000 calories. I mean, really?

Anyway, the turkey dinner I had instead and the coffee I drank are currently duking it out to see if I get to bed on time or lay awake staring at the ceiling until 2:00 AM. Hopefully the former. Early day tomorrow, in order to beat the rush to Angel’s Landing. Alarm set for 5:15 AM. Really.

Additional Thought: I went into this w/ two pairs of hiking pants. Greenie (cause he's green) was up first, and he performed admirably thru the first half of the trip. Now, he’s been retired to the trunk of the car, in an admittedly undignified move, but one made necessary by his powerful odor, along with the fact that I refuse to do laundry on vacation. Soon, however, he’ll be washed at home, where he can then bask in his success and brag to all of my other pants about what a good job he did.

Now, Khaki is up. Hopefully, he can match Greenie. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment