Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Lowly Highlight

Ugh. It’s been one of those weeks.

For example, the most exciting part was when I learned how to tune my stored procedure SQL, which is running on a database without referential integrity, which means that the typical foreign key indexing isn’t in place, which was in turn killing the performance of my joins, and when I was finished it ran exponentially faster than before. (It’s messy, but it’s fast!)

I’m not proud of the above paragraph, but I won’t lie about the highlight of my week so far, either. (Perhaps the better option would have been to not even bring it up in the first place, but then I’d have nothing to write about, and we can’t have that, can we?)

This should come as no surprise, though, as I've spent the last month in Wisconsin, which has put me teetering on the edge of depressing country songs not even being enough to cheer me up.

Fear not, though, as the time has come to make a banana and split, all in the name of fun! So come on Minnesota! You can be more of a highlight than tuning SQL, right?

Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment