Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What Do You Mean It's Winter Again?

Winter, in all of its inherent evilness, has completely thrown my normal cold-weather coping mechanisms out of whack.

You see, typically January and February are cold, dark months where the temperature is rarely above fifteen degrees and the chances of freezing off a digit are fairly good if you don’t pay attention. I deal with this by giving up on those two months before they ever start. I square my shoulders, grit my teeth, and become angrier at winter than it is at me. It’s a good system, and eventually winter gives up and goes away when it realizes it can’t break me.

However, winter slacked off a bit in the last few weeks and the temperatures were in the thirties. It was nice to walk to my car in the morning without feeling like if I didn’t move fast enough I may actually freeze in place. This made me happy, and I wandered around whistling a jolly tune, totally ignorant of winter’s wicked plan to soften me up and shatter my cold weather anger.

Now this week the temperatures have plummeted back to where they typically reside, and I find myself ill-equipped to handle them. I am now a shivering mess who, when forced to go outside, feels like shrieking and then running back inside, even if the place I am leaving is work.

My only hope is that my winter anger will build back up quickly and I will be able to battle it to a standstill in early April.

So, please wish me luck. And, if you need me, I’ll probably be curled up into a ball in bed.

Side Note – This is my first blog posting about the weather. I feel I am well on my way to becoming an old man! Now I need a pipe and to take up smoking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment