Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Tired Moment Captured

My friend Lurch and I were at Acadia National Park, in Maine. It was our last day staying there, so we decided to make the most of it. We got up fairly early and got right to exploring. I won’t go through our itinerary, but I will just say that I have probably never hiked as far in my entire life. We even went up a “non-technical climbing route”, which basically means we climbed a mountain by following something that sort of resembled a trail.

When we had finished, we were both completely exhausted and it was nearing the end of the afternoon. We drove back to our campground, eagerly anticipating dinner. We pulled into camp and I turned off the car. We then sat there for a moment, simply relishing the feeling of our day’s work being complete.

However, as we quickly found out, we both were left with absolutely no motivation. We looked out of the windshield at the picnic table, but it just as well could have been miles away. Getting out of the car, gathering our food, and cooking was just too momentous of a task, even though we were both very hungry. It was as if the Sahara was between the car and the picnic table.

So we sat there for an entire hour, doing absolutely nothing. At one point we did summon the energy to reach into the back seat and retrieve a Blueberry Soda for each of us. As we relaxed, enjoying our beverages, I snapped this picture. I really like it, and I think knowing the context of when it was taken helps to put it into a better perspective.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see some of your photos from Acadia! I was there last summer and it was so beautiful. We didn't hike a whole lot but we did take a plane and flew over the park.

    ReplyDelete