Sunday, December 13, 2009

Shop 'Til You Drop (Or Sit In The Car Instead)

Ah, Christmas shopping.

I do enjoy the Christmas season, and occasionally I even like trying to pick out interesting gifts that will surprise people. Still, I’m not a huge fan of the hordes of people who are out trying to do the same thing.

I really shouldn’t complain, though. Where I live now, the crowds aren’t all that bad. I remember Christmas shopping in Minneapolis one year. More specifically, I remember driving around a full Best Buy parking lot waiting for somebody to leave just so I would have a place to park. That was not fun. Anybody on my gift list that year was lucky they didn’t get slush wrapped in a box.

Still, some folk know how to do it. I always like seeing the men sitting in their cars in the parking lot. Obviously, their wives are inside doing the shopping. I assume they are in the car for one of two reasons: either they insist on not coming in, or their wives won’t let them because all they’d do is gripe and complain and knock over display stands the whole time. Either way, that seems to me like the best way to go, and I hope that someday I get to be one of these guys. You can listen to the radio, take a nap, wave to the other unfortunate guys who are heading inside, or read a book. Your only worry is whether your entire retirement fund is being spent while you sit in your car or not. Still, it’s a worthwhile tradeoff.

Despite saying all of this, Christmas is the time for giving, and I’m trying my best this year to go the extra mile. I think my multiple viewings of It’s A Wonderful Life have made me a bit sentimental, but you need to embrace the season, I guess.

And for anybody out there on my list, I hope you like slush.


No comments:

Post a Comment