Wednesday, December 30, 2009

CD Roulette

I’m a big fan of purchasing music online. I like the fact that I can stream just about any album beforehand, determine which songs I like, and then cherry pick them from ITunes. Never more do I have to by an album that has exactly one good song. (I’m thinking of Willie Nelson here, if it’s one of his better albums.)

Despite these benefits, there is still something I miss about buying physical CDs. I always enjoyed fumbling with the packaging in the car for ten minutes until I finally got it out. I liked opening the case and smelling the new CD case smell. I liked pulling out of the parking lot, putting in the CD, and discovering each and every new song, while all the while hoping that I hadn’t purchased a lemon album. (Willie!) Maybe I’m weird, but that just made me happy.

So, occasionally, I still pick up an album at the store. I usually reserve it for artists where I know most of the stuff is going to be good. But, once in a while, I’ll still take a flyer on an unknown artist, just for old time’s sake.

My latest attempt at this was David Nail’s debut album, which I picked up on my way to the U.P., based on the potential of his song ‘Red Light’. Unfortunately, it was a big swing and a miss. It was typical contemporary country music. Overproduced, with only the barest hints of traditional country instrumentation, along with just about every song containing multiple, loud, electric guitar solos. There were a few good songs in there somewhere, but they were all lost in the noise.

Still, it was worth a shot. It’s always fun when you get lucky and strike gold. Although, in this case, I should have bought a Willie CD instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment