Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rip Off The Knob And Beat On The Dash

Living in the Twin Cities brings with it some negatives, such as the ridiculous summer heat, the ridiculous traffic, and the general ridiculousness that stems from the total amount of people there. However, there are also benefits to being in such a busting area, such as having a much better chance to see wacky people.

For example, I was just in a gas station and 'Country Roads' by John Denver was being played over the radio and throughout the store. I was singing along in my head and enjoying it, but not as much as the young man who wandered by. He was singing the chorus out loud, at a high volume level, and not at all well. Still, he did not care if anybody was listening, or what they were thinking, because he continued to wander and sing, apparently without a care in the world.

Now, while that was mildly entertaining, it luckily got better.

After I left the gas station, I was stopped at a red light that lasted for approximately a presidential administration. Long red lights are normally another annoying thing about the cities, but this time I happened to look in my rear view mirror and saw the same guy behind me in his own vehicle. This time he was really fired up by whatever music he was listening to. He was basically dancing fervently in his seat. His arms were all over the place: swinging back and forth, banging on the dashboard, clapping together, etc. He was also singing, and although I couldn’t hear him, I believe it must have been quite loudly.

I watched this for a good twenty seconds, until he paused to take a swig of an energy drink, which did not surprise me one bit. He started up again, and only stopped his routine later on in order to light up a cigarette. The light then turned green and he followed me for a few blocks, puffing contentedly, but I wouldn’t have been surprised if he had started to rock out again at any moment.

My point is that I'm adjusting the Twin Cities, and like the old saying goes, you just have to learn to take the good with the bad. And I guess it doesn’t hurt to get your groove on once in a while, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment