Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Moment To Remember (But Not To Be Proud Of)

Now that my time in Wisconsin is drawing to a close, I find myself looking back at some of the things that have occured during my stay here. One in particular was the dumbest thing I ever did while living in my apartment.

At the time I had a roommate, and one day he told me that the dryer in the basement jammed while he was putting in the quarters needed to operate it. I called the landlord and he later determined that a bent quarter was used, which jammed the mechanism, and he returned said offending quarter.

Life went on. However, somewhere down the line the same thing happened to me. This annoyed me, as I figured the dryer was getting old. I called the landlord and reported the problem. When I got home from work the next day there was a note under my door, and included was a bent quarter. The note included the following line: "This is the same quarter I took out the last time." (I'm surprised he didn't attach a "moron" at the end.)

That was when I realized that when he had returned the bent quarter the last time, I had, showing an incredible lack of foresight, put it back into my stash of laundry money. From there on I had been playing Laundry Roulette, and it had finally caught up with me.

If I had been my landlord, I would have kicked me out right then and there out of sheer principle. However, he was nice enough not to.

I truly believe that during his regular Landlord Meetings, he now brings this tale up to try and one-up other landlords when they are discussing who has the worst tenants.

Needless to say, in some landfill in Wisconsin there is a bent quarter buried somewhere within. I actually wish I had it back. I would probably frame it, since I am kind of proud of the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment