Saturday, June 5, 2010

Growing Pains

Sometimes, getting mature can really be annoying.

Take, for example, a four-hour road trip. In the past I would spend the entire time listening to music and generally enjoying myself. It was a good system, I rather enjoyed it, and I saw no reason for it to change.

Except it did change, and for that I blame maturity.

Now, when I am in this exact same situation, I spend most of my time listening to talk radio, and I’ve come to realize that not only is politics incredibly boring, it is also incredibly frustrating and depressing. Still, I can’t help but pay attention to it. It’s a maturity thing, and it's starting to annoy me. For example, when the road trip is finished, I am no longer upbeat and happy from listening to various singers who wear cowboy hats tell about how their world is ending because they treated their woman wrong and so she left them, and how the only way they can deal with it is by consuming large amounts of alcohol. Instead, I am angry and frustrated because I’ve just heard various stories about how people I wouldn’t trust to handle running a rummage sale are currently running our government. Aaargh!

This leads me to my next point: John Wayne.

You see, I own a life-sized John Wayne cut-out. I received it as a gift from my friend Tom quite a few years back. At that time, I thought it was hilarious, and I amused myself by setting it up randomly in my apartment. It scared any visitors I had, and it also scared myself, on occasion. Once again, it was a good system, I rather enjoyed it, and I saw no reason for it to change.

Except now it just isn’t funny anymore. John himself hasn’t changed. He still stands there stoically, holding his rifle and looking grim, just like he’s either about to face down a dozen bandits or has severe constipation. Unfortunately, it’s me that’s changed. For some reason, what used to make me happy now seems somehow beneath me. Stupid maturity.

I guess this is just something I’ll have to learn to live with. I understand that maturing is good. I mean, if you don’t mature, then you end up as the weird 40 year old guy who still tries to act 20 by keeping up with and using the current slang, which results in them being known as the creepy 40 year old guy who sounds completely out of place by using the current slang.

I guess what I’m saying is that I’m not against maturing, and I’ll go along with it, but it doesn’t mean I always have to like it.

Also, does anybody want a life-sized cut-out of John Wayne?

1 comment: