Saturday, December 3, 2011

What's In A Name?

This blog is called From The Desk Of Curly. That would make it seem that my desk is a very important spot. If it weren’t, one would think that the blog would be named something like From The Unswept Corners Of Curly’s Mind.

So, what about my desk?

When I started this blog in Wisconsin, I had an old, cheap, wooden desk, one that would probably collapse if a cup of coffee filled to the brim was placed upon it. Still, it did the job, and I was rather fond of it.

When I moved to the Twin Cities, however, I wanted something new, something modern, something to mark the new path my life was taking. I looked around and eventually found something that seemed appropriate. Here is the description of the desk I bought, straight from the manufacturer:
A bold contemporary play on the international architectural style. Like it's skyscraper inspiration, it is driven by function with storage drawers and pull-outs to serve contemporary office and entertainment needs and constructed of steel and glass in rectilinear proportions. Black on black glass and metal with nickel hardware highlights bring a bit of the big city to any room.

Basically, I bought a yuppy desk built consisting of black metal and a glass top. If my desk were a person, it would never like the food brought to it at a restaurant and would always send it back. (“Do you think this food is fit for somebody whose style is a bold contemporary play on international architecture? I think not!”) It would never take public transportation, for fear of mingling with “common folk”, all of whom would be swarming with dangerous germs. It would wear suits and ties everywhere it went, even to bed. 

Essentially, my desk is a total snob. That is not, however, the only issue with "bringing a bit of the big city to any room". For one thing, the entire thing weighs approximately eight-thousand pounds, probably because it’s inspired by skyscrapers. (That should have been a tip-off for me, but I ignored it.) Also, the glass top seems like a good idea, but all it does it collects fingerprints and dust.

Not that I dislike my desk. Who could? It has rectilinear proportions, whatever those are! Still, the whole monstrosity is basically unmovable, and I don’t plan to ever try. Whenever I leave my current residence, I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to blow it up with dynamite.

On my desk is a container of office supplies. It’s filled with pens, pencils, markers, and erasers. It conveys the idea that I’m ready for anything, should I be hit with a burst of creativity. However, I don’t use any of them. I type on my computer, and that’s all. I don’t remember the last time I even used an eraser. Still, the cup of office supplies looks important, so I keep it around. Plus, it gives the desk something to make snarky comments about behind its back. (“That thing mixes number 2 pencils with ball point pens! How tacky!)

So, what does my desk say about this blog? Is my blog a natural extension of it, pretentious and snobby? Or does my blog have a personality of its own, and is just a victim of misfortune to be saddled with an unfortunate reference in its name to something pretentious and snobby?

I don’t have the answer to that, just one more question: How in the world did I just manage to write an entire entry about my desk? How pathetic is that? In fact, I’ll bet my desk is snickering at me right now. I think I’m going to kick it in the leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment