Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Straight To My Head

So this is kind of cool. A while back I decided that it might be fun to enter a writing contest. Using the in-depth research skills usually associated with an inattentive high school student playing on their phone, I googled “humor writing contests” and clicked on the first link that came up. It was HumorPress.com. They bill themselves as one of America’s most popular humor contest sites, offer bi-monthly writing contests. That sounded good to me, so I polished up a few old pieces, paid the entry fee, and submitted them.

The universe must have somehow owed me a favor, because I managed to place several times. It wasn’t high enough to make any money, but I’m still happy. Of the pieces that placed, a couple of them were previously posted here on my blog, while two others will probably be in the future.

Anyway, if you’re interested:
Let's Wrap
Morning Radio
No Thanks To Christmas
Birthday Ponderings

This means, by the way, that I’m going to milk this for all its worth, and I’m most definitely going to let it go to my head. For example, I’ll probably start prefacing everything I say with something like, “Well, as a published writer at HumorPress.com, one of America’s most popular humor contest sites, I think that…”

Basically, you’re going to get real sick of me real quick, to the point where you’re going to be hoping to hear about my car’s remote start. However, please try and bear with me. I’ve never dealt with fame before, and if I say something like, “As a published writer at HumorPress.com, one of America’s most popular humor contest sites, I order you to peel me a grape,” just ignore me. Eventually I’ll be able to contain myself.

I would guess.

One would hope.

Maybe just buy earplugs.

Anyway, as a published writer at HumorPress.com, one of America’s most popular humor contest sites, I deem this post done.

Now bring me M&Ms. Only the red ones. They’re my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment