Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Wheels On The Bus

We had a company wide meeting today at work, but it took place at a different building than where I'm located. The company provided transport in the form of what were essentially school busses. I hadn’t ridden on one in many, many years, but as soon as I stepped on, everything from my childhood came back.

Cool kids in the back. They get to chew tobacco, spit on the floor, and make trouble, under the assumption that the bus driver never looks in the mirror or has vision that is only effective up to ten feet.

The seats are made of a horrible material that sticks to you on hot summer days.

Sitting in the back has its downside: it’s so bumpy that if you were old enough to have fillings, they’d all get dislodged.

The windows fog up in the winter. You can then write or draw hilarious things on them. If you’re clever, you write it backwards so people can read it from the outside. This never gets old.

The bus always has a strange smell. Maybe because many children have no concept of personal hygiene.

It seems like you’re traveling in a gigantic loaf of bread with wheels. Except a loaf of bread can probably corner better.

If you’re lucky enough to sit by yourself, you turn sideways, with your back up against the window and your feet splayed out on the seat. You’re living the high life now!

Hands inside of the bus at all times!!!!!

It was pretty funky. I felt like I should've had a backpack full of textbooks and a sack lunch with me.

The best part? The cool kids didn’t give me a wedgie!!!!

Heck, I wish I’d brought an action figure.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a reminder of childhood. :) Hope all is well at the "new" job. Gotta admit, sometimes I wish you were still in Wisconsin. I could use the company. :)

    ReplyDelete