Monday, December 27, 2010

The Benefit Of Stupidity

At first I was annoyed at myself for not leaving for a U.P. Christmas last Thursday night. I figured a leisurely drive on Friday morning would be much more enjoyable than fighting traffic after work the night before.

It seemed like a sound strategy until the 5 inches of snow came Thursday night.

Getting out of Minnesota was slow, and somewhat dangerous. The roads were snow-covered and slippery. I saw numerous cars in the ditch, along with an eighteen wheeler tipped on its side off of Interstate 35.

Once I hit Wisconsin, though, the roads were bare and travel became easy, allowing me to release the death grip I had on the steering wheel. Still, I was not proud of the fact that I had neglected the weather forecast completely when making my plans. It was kind of a rookie move.

However, there was a fringe benefit to my stupidity.

As I was driving through Bessemer, I saw that there was the rare mix of ice on the trees and sun shining through the perpetual cloud cover. A chance like this couldn’t be passed up. I pulled off of the highway and started to explore the side roads to the south. Eventually I found several worthwhile pictures:



This probably goes to show something but I’m not really sure what it would be. Maybe it’s just that sometimes you get lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment