Thursday, January 9, 2014

In Like A Lamb

Apparently, my New Year’s resolution was to be terrible at blogging in a timely manner.

Blogging is an interesting business. You’re constantly in the need for new material, less you become the owner of a blog last updated two years ago, but at the same time, you don’t want to be constantly putting out sub-par material, just for the sake of having something new out there to your name. (Unless you’re Toby Keith, of course, but I’m not going to get into that, although maybe I should…)

For the most part, my blogging is largely reactive. I’ll just be hanging around, minding my own business, when something will happen that stimulates my brain and makes me want to write about it. (“Hey! That cashier just bruised my apples! I’ll have to blog about this, and soon!”)

If I ever sit down and try to force myself to come up with something, rarely are the results satisfactory.

Now, you’d think that January would be prime blogging season, wouldn’t you? It’s cold and dark and dreary, so what else is there to do? Plus, there are all kinds of topics to be written about, such as:

The polar vortex
New Year’s Resolutions
Giving up on New Year’s Resolutions almost immediately after making them
Boy are the Pistons terrible this year

However, these are all current events, which I usually shy away from. That’s what everybody’s been talking about non-stop for the last few weeks, so why would they want to read about it here?

So that leaves me with no choice but to wait for something to happen that I want to write about, and since it’s cold and dark and dreary in the Twin Cities, and nothing is happening besides hibernation and the occasional warming up of cars, my brain has basically shut down.

And so begins the new year. We’ll see how it goes…

No comments:

Post a Comment