Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Four Years Of Nonsense

Four years ago, disregarding the added workload of having to remember a user name and password for yet another website, I started a blog and my life was changed forever, by which I mean I now occasionally take the drivel floating around in my head and post it for all of the world to ignore.

It’s the “four years” portion of the above statement that I’d like to focus on. Yup, it’s that time of year again: my blogiversary! (Actually, I’m a little late, but close enough.)

Before we look to the future, let’s look back at the past year of FromTheDeskOfCurly, shall we? The previous twelve months have been an exciting time for this blog, at least as long as “exciting” means that there were numerous occasions when I couldn’t think of anything interesting to post and just bagged the whole thing and rummaged through the refrigerator instead, hoping to find chocolate milk.

However, there were still a few big events, such as:

The Book
In a shameless attempt to get rich, I self-published a book on Amazon.com that contained, among other things, a few columns from this blog. This failed to make me independently wealthy, however, mainly because I was too shy to promote it, although its questionable quality may have played a role. The book was released in February, and sales quickly flat-lined after I bought a single copy from myself. Still, it was fun, and putting it together killed a rather dreary January.

Twitter
Joining the modern world, this blog signed up for Twitter. The rationale behind this decision was that all I needed was one celebrity to retweet something of mine and suddenly I’d have millions of followers, all of whom would want to buy my book and make me rich. To date, this hasn’t happened, which is quite disappointing since it’s essentially my entire retirement plan. Come on Jim Gaffigan, I’m looking at you here!!!

Looking ahead, what’s next for FromTheDeskOfCurly? Will it miraculously get better? Or will it instead jump the shark? Will the author take a well-deserved sabbatical that nobody will even notice? Maybe there'll be another book published containing previously released material?

That’s a lot of questions, most of which I have no answers for. I can, however, respond to the last one: No more books. I’ve already made my artistic point with the first one. (“Look, I have an awful lot of free time on my hands!”)

Beyond that, I have no idea what’s coming up. Planning ahead is not my strong suit, so I’m going to just keep making things up as I go along. Unless, of course, Jim Gaffigan retweets me and I get rich. Then I’ll dump this blog faster than you could ever imagine!!

DeskOfCurly Readers Blogiversary Bonus:
As a thank you to all of my readers, I’m running a free promotion on my book this month on Amazon.com. It will be available free of charge for three days, beginning on Friday the 25th all the way through Sunday the 27th. You can get it here. Reviews are always welcome, unless they include the phrases, “worse than I’d ever imagined,” or “like lava was pouring in my eyes.”

And for any of you who’ve already spent your hard earned money on it, I have only one thing to say: A fool and his money are – Whoops!! Looks like I’m out of space for now!! See you next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment