Saturday, April 12, 2014

From Point A To Point B (or How To End Up Sharing A Roy Rogers Video)

Today, I’d like to discuss the phenomenon of how two seemingly unrelated points of a person’s life, let’s call them Point A and Point B, are actually tightly coupled, with the key to understanding the relationship being a series of in-between linking points.

Here’s an example:

Point A: My buddy Lurch shows up.
Point B: I share a Roy Rogers music video.

Now, you may ask, how could these two points possibly be related? Also, does Lurch know that you’re writing about him? And who in the world is Roy Rogers, anyway?

Well, continue reading, friend, and all will be revealed:

Let’s begin with Point A: My buddy Lurch was in town for the weekend, and I was charged with the task of trying to keep us entertained. Since we’re guys, and we hadn’t seen each other in months, we were able to spend the better part of three whole sentences getting caught up on each other’s lives:

“What’s new?”
“Nothing.
“Same here.”

After that, there was nothing left to talk about, so we fell back on several tried-and-true activities, including dart gun baseball, reading books while not acknowledging the other person’s existence, and Nintendo R.B.I. Baseball.

Eventually, however, even that lost some of its luster (especially since I’m terrible at dart gun baseball), and I had to come up with something else.

And so, that’s how we found ourselves at Goodwill, perusing the books in hopes of finding some good reading material. This turned out to be an excellent decision, as I scored several paperbacks, not to mention it ate up a lot of time looking through them all.

Once we’d exhausted the reading section, we then turned to the CDs, where I found many that appeared to be elaborate jokes. (“WWF The Music, Vol. 3”, for example, which is a collection of wrestler entrance music.) One album, however, caught my eye: a tribute album to the Eagles by various country artists, which includes Clint Black’s studio version of “Desperado.” I’d been looking for a studio version of that song for a long time, as the album isn’t available digitally, so I snapped it up.

And so, a few days later, that’s how I found myself wondering if there were any other Clint Black songs I should be listening to, which led to me perusing his back catalog on iTunes.

And so, that’s how I found myself being reacquainted with a duet he’d done with Roy Rogers that I’d long since forgotten about, titled “Hold on Partner.”

And so, that’s how I found myself remembering I’d once seen a video of that song, and also that it was purposely incredibly cheesy, which made it utterly fantastic.

And so, we finally arrive at Point B, which is me watching the video on YouTube and deciding to share it in a blog post:



See, it all makes perfect sense now! (Unless you’re still trying to figure out what dart gun baseball is.) Thanks Lurch! I couldn’t have done it without you!

2 comments:

  1. Strangely enough, your train of thought makes perfect sense. Or maybe that's not so strange after all.

    tjh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes perfect sense to me...wonder why? cji

    ReplyDelete