Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Recommended Reading

Before watching the HBO miniseries The Pacific, I had little to no knowledge of the war in the Pacific during WWII. This 10-part series was done pretty well, and it opened my eyes to a lot of what occurred during that time.

After finishing the miniseries, I moved on to the book With The Old Breed, which was written by E.B. Sledge, who was one of the main characters portrayed in The Pacific. His book is a first-person account of the two campaigns that he fought in, Peleliu and Okinawa. It goes into much greater detail than The Pacific had time for, and it gave me a much better understanding of what the fighting on the Pacific islands was like.

I won't try to give any sort of summary or specific details on the book. All that I’ll say is that it is one of the best books I’ve ever read, and I highly recommend it to anybody. In fact, I can say that, to me, the best part of The Pacific is that it led me to read With The Old Breed.

1 comment: